The new mega social platform, TikTok has recently taken over as the most downloaded app in the world and continues to grow its user base and content. TikTok has over 800 million active users around the world with the United States having the 2nd largest number of people using the app. TikTok also has the highest engagement rate and amount of time spent on the platform vs other social media platforms. All these impressive stats make TikTok an attractive place for brands to be advertising their products and services.
TikTok resembles many of the other social media advertising platforms, such as Facebook Ads. TikTok includes the following:
Dashboard – an overview of the campaigns and major KPI’s.
Campaign Tab – the place to build new campaigns and manage the campaigns that are running.
Library – a page to store and manage ad creatives.
Reporting – where you can create customized reports to see how the ads are performing.
Setting Up A Campaign
The campaigns are going to be set up like most other ad platforms with a campaign with adgroups and then ads in the adgroups.
To create a campaign, you will select a campaign goal such as traffic or conversion based and then a budget. At the adgroup level you will be able to define your target audience, set up schedule, choose ad placements, and other details involved in running the ads. Then finally you will be able to create your ads within your adgroups.
The TikTok Pixel
A pixel is a piece of HTML code that is placed on the website to track visits and activity on the website. When you put the TikTok pixel on your website you will be able to see the activity on your site from the TikTok user who clicks through from your TikTok ad. To create a TikTok pixel and begin tracking:
- Create the pixel in your TikTok account. You will have one Base pixel and then to track events you will define events.
- Install the pixel to your website either via manual installation or Google Tag Manager.
- Download TikTok Pixel Helper. It will check to ensure that the pixel is firing properly.
- Choose an industry that your business is included and create events to track different actions users may take.
- Define tracking rules for your events including an ElementClick, Destination URL, or Pop-up Events.
- Link the pixel at the ad group level and choose the pixel event as the optimization goal for that ad group.
Setting up this pixel will help with tracking and ensuring that you can optimize accordingly. It will also help to show your return on investment to help reach your marketing goals.
Tik Tok is becoming a huge media platform for all age groups. Leveraging the ad capabilities should be a priority for most brands in 2020 moving into 2021.